Sunday, June 6, 2010

the band aid man

You know how sometime you cut your finger and it hurts and you put a bugs bunny band aid on the wound and just because the band aid is there, you feel like your life is going to be OK? The same goes for relationships.
I had a band aid man. He was the Mother Theresa of emotional invalids. His patience took that one step further and made me wonder if he ever had any need, or if he ever lost his temper over anything. His family taught him endurance. They never expressed big emotions. It was not dignified. Repression was the healthiest emotional exercise in their household.
I walked into his life like a hurricane. I had emotions pulling me in every possible direction, with no map. He looked at me, completely fascinated. He stayed with me, trying to secretly mimic emotions he never even knew existed. He started expressing his repressed anger in traffic. He would giggle apologetically immediately afterwards. He was not comfortable with showing emotion, yet that was everything his soul craved for. The craving turned into addiction. The addiction turned into repetitive behavior.
One day, he told me we should get married. Since most of my emotional insights are fairly short sighted when it comes to commitment, I thought about it. I thought about what it would mean us being married. It couldn't possibly change much from what we had up until then. We lived together, in a purple apartment, I liked to call "my purple egg". I did laundry every week, hand washing or soaking the soiled stuff. I cleaned the house with baking soda, which makes for a miracle ecological detergent. I waxed the floors, without ever getting the hang of it, really. I ironed sheets and shirts. I cooked fabulously complicated meals, when I felt inspired and shopped for organic produce at local farmer's markets. Life was bliss in that day by day routine, that somehow establishes a rhythm. My heart tuned to this rhythm and chaos became lighter and easier to navigate. I've decided I was going to have as life goal: to be boring, to take no chances, no risks, just be, in that rhythm that my heart learned. No plans for the future, no master schemes. For once I'd trust life to be in control. But where would "us being married" fit in this picture? Were we already playing married and just needed to seal the deal? Were we two random souls, united for a while? Were we meant to be together? What does "meant to be together" mean? What does it feel like? Would it be fair of me to marry "the band aid man"?

No comments:

Post a Comment