Monday, June 14, 2010

Bollywood Dance

One evening, after eating too much sugar during the day, I've decided it would be wise to go to the gym, before going to sleep. I made a "to do" list in my head, with everything I needed to accomplish on that particular work out session, in order to burn the sugar rush and get some sleep: some upper body weight lifting, followed by half hour intense cardio, etc, etc.
I drove to the gym, found parking immediately (this never happens!). I walked in and showed my gym Id to the front desk, then rushed up the stairs to the weights room. As I walked by the dance room, I peeked through the glass door. My eyes lingered on an incredible spectacle: a group of people jumping around in monkey poses to some exotic rhythm that I couldn't fully hear. Fascinated, I stopped and stared. It must have been 5 minutes of good staring, during which I noticed that every member of that particular group had a smile on their bright, blood engorged, sweaty faces. I couldn't resist and opened the glass doors. It was like walking on the sun. The room was vibrating. The music was Bollywood dance music. I joined in and danced the rest of the class.
I can't remember the last time I've been so happy. I did series of jumps, in which one uses the entire body, just like when you're a kid, and you run everywhere, cause your energy is limitless and a summer day lasts forever. I ran in place, just like I did as a kid as a warm up for ballet classes. My arms flew around me, dragging my back, sides, chest and abs after them. The music sounded cartoonish, fast drums and squeaky voices, singing incomprehensible words.
At the end of the class, we did some yoga moves and the teacher said something like "imagine what would make you happy, imagine what you'd feel like if you had right now, grab it with your hands and hang on to it" (while twisting your body in impossible poses). I know it sounds corny, but I envisioned happiness. I had a little glimpse of that first something, when your heart races and you can't stop smiling and you're giggly and stop wishing for things because you feel like you've got it all. I saw happiness.
Needless to say, after the class, I've abandoned all of my workout plans, went home and showered.

No comments:

Post a Comment