Sunday, June 27, 2010

If I want to Whistle, I Whistle

This film is comparable to Dog Day Afternoon, having the same kind of tension build up from a hostage situation.
The drama takes place in a present day Romanian prison, where an 18 yrs old inmate, days away from being released, walks to extreme human limits for love of his brother and a girl student of sociology, who interviewed him in prison.
The film got the Silver Bear at Berlin 2010. The main actor, George Pistireanu, owns the part with a charisma rarely seen in thespians his age.
It is an impressive piece of work. Not for the regular movie goer. It is an art house kind of film.
It humbled any aesthetic criteria I may have had, reason being: these guys have no money to make films. Romania is not like US for an artist. I don't think I would be as strong and believe in myself enough to pull a movie from concept to Berlin Film Festival, if I had to live in Romania. It makes me realize how a real artist thinks, how a real artist doesn't need a lot of money or fancy stories to make art. The film was shot on one location, Cinema Verite style. The themes make one ponder on the kind of courage it takes to take a stand for what you believe in. The director, Florin Serban has all my respect. I bow to him, for he is an artist.
The imdb profile can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment